Saturday, January 27, 2007

"Single" Momhood

So, I'm on evening number two of being a "single" mom. My dear hubby brought a group of kids from our church to MBBC for the Great Lakes Music Festival (I'll have more info on that coming soon...), and I couldn't go this year because I had some accompanying gigs this weekend. But, of course, being a woman, I had to know EVERYONE he spoke to and WHAT EXACTLY they talked about. So I had a lengthy conversation with him tonight on the phone as he was on his way back, and this is what I found when I was done...


I guess Noah and Livi wanted to make sure she wasn't bored!

So what do you do when you're on your own with the kids and you've come to that most precious time during the entire day when the kids are all in bed, the house is quiet, and all the chores are done (relatively speaking, of course)?

This is what I did.

Night number one: scrapbooking night. I haven't been doing much of it lately since I've been blogging more, but I find that I like to scrapbook when everyone's tucked away in their beds, and I can put on a good old movie and scrap until I can't see straight anymore. I've been thinking that maybe I would give up scrapbooking and just give the kids a CD with the blog archives on it as their family heirloom. :) But, alas, I found out last night that I do still like to scrapbook, so I won't be quitting that just yet.

Night number two: cooking night. I've been yearning to try some yummy soups, so I'm trying my hand at this tonight. Then I'll put it in the crock pot tomorrow and actually have a meal prepared for when we get home from church! I'd also like to try these, if I have enough time and energy.

So...what do you do with your alone time?



9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH Chloe! What a darling picture!!

Okay...so I suppose it doesn't count, because I'm not a mom. But I really enjoy cross stitching on pillowcases (read presents for my family). Whenever we have a Career Class get together, I'm usually there WITH my cross stitching.

I'd also like to get into some painting this summer like Sara Fos.

I wish I would have known that you were alone! However, I can't pop up there until after Feb. anyway.

Jill said...

G-Knee, of course it still counts, even if you're not a mom! I would love to see your pillowcases - your famiy will love them. And, I think you would do some pretty cool painting too.

Eight is Enough!! said...

I would have a good cup of hot chocolate, a good page turner, and a warm fireplace. I would NOT cook or do any work!! Call me lazy!! :) Relaxing sounds good to me!

At least Chloe is happy about all those toys! :)
cassandra

Holly said...

When Mike has a deacon's meeting I feel like a single mom, too. I like to call a faraway friend using my free cell phone minutes or read a good book. That's such a cute picture of Chloe. I have one of Mia that is similar. Mia was so little she couldn't even sit up yet, and Kylie almost buried her in stuffed animals--so Mia would not be bored and have something to play with! =)

Holly said...

When Mike has a deacon's meeting I feel like a single mom, too. I like to call a faraway friend using my free cell phone minutes or read a good book. That picutre of Chloe is so cute! I have a similar picture of Mia. She was so little she couldn't sit up yet. Kylie almost buried her in stuffed animals--so she would have something to play with, I'm sure! =)

sara said...

I agree with you, Jill- scrapbooking in front of a good movie is my kind of night!!! That is what I would do if Dave was gone (if I wasn't blogging! )

SturgillMom said...

That is an adorable picture! I love to scrapbook on my time alone, but I usually have to beg some girlfriends to come over and babysit me while we scrap because I get spooked when I am up too late by myself:)

Jill said...

Cassandra and Holly - the good book idea sounds great to me too. I'm in between books right now, so I'm actually getting caught up on other things! :)

Danielle - I have to stay up late when Paul's gone so that when I finally go to bed I can fall asleep and not just lie there listening to all the strange noises!

2Icecubed said...

I LOVE that wide open smile of Chloe's!!! Scott plays basketball every Wednesday night after church and I actually enjoy it! I use the quiet time with everyone in bed to READ in front of the fire! AWESOME! I have to agree with Cassandra--no work!!!! I should be scrapbooking but I never seem to do that unless I am with Danielle! :)