On Tuesday night we had a great concert at church with the
Maranatha Symphonic Band. They played a great concert, with lots of interesting music, including one of my favorites "In the Bleak Midwinter", in which the players actually said
shhhh to imitate the sound of falling snow (does it actually make sound? anyway...) We had a few girls stay at our house (including Joelle Isaacs - for all you Woodcrusties), and as we were visiting with them, I actually heard myself say "When I was at Maranatha..." and proceeded to tell of the two pay phones we had to use in the dorms (no phone in rooms), the old "dating lounge" in Old Main, the old gym where the student center now is, etc. As their eyes started to glaze over, I realized that I have joined the ranks of those people who used to come back to Maranatha and look with awe at all the new things that were going on. I'm old! I have three kids! That makes me very old! The girls were very nice and nodded their heads and
oohed and
aahed while Paul and I reminisced about the good old days.

So, in honor of Maranatha tours, I looked up some old pictures from choir tour '96 (it's cold and rainy today - we had nothing else to do!). We went east that year and toured through D.C. as well. This is a picture of the choir singing on the steps of the Capitol. Jason Hatfield (Billy J!) is leading the group.
And here we are playing Rook, a favorite tour game. Do you recognize these people? Notice the nice wavy permed

hair.
11 comments:
HA HA ! i'm giggling at my little dilbert office cubicle. MAN we used to fight over that stupid ROOK game like vixens. We are big into Euchre and I'm actually starting to have people not mind being my partner - thanks to all the help from ROOK.
GOOD GRIEF. How did we survive with just 2 pay phones? Prison. Remember that hideous spider that we had draped in our room that one year?! man, taciness knows no bounds in college. - I'm glad I shared those memories with you!
Hey Jill! I've been checking in on your blog for a few weeks now, but was forced to stop lurking to comment on these choir pictures. Thanks for posting them--brings back good memories. I feel like we left MBBC about 3-4 years ago and it's really coming up on 10. Yikes!
It's been fun to see your family, too. How life changes!
hey jill, your picture is so cute.. funny hairdo's...
your kids are sooo cute. the picture of paul with your little one is darling..
hope that things are going well..
I don't know if you remember me.. hope so.. I have a myspace page with pictures of my kids..
hope to hear from you soon.
dora
www.myspace.com/swtnessdg
Hi Mommy! I did some investigating to find out your "real identity"! :) I'm so glad you commented! It's nice to reconnect with people from Maranatha. Love your blog. Congrats on your new baby!
Dora! Of course I remember you! My kids will be so excited to know I have a friend named Dora! She's their absolute favorite right now. I checked out your blog - your kids are so cute! So glad to hear from you!
Jill-
I just found a picture the other day taken of you and Hope Budahl is those lovely green dresses. I will have to either e-mail it or put it on our blog spot!!! Oh how I miss the good old days of traveling around in a crowded bus that always seemed to break down. Do you remember being stranded in Washington for several days? Oh the memories that were made.
What a hoot, Jill! I well remember those wonderful perms and the even better day when I stopped getting them! :) Yes, we are getting old...it is a sad day when the things like Cabbage Patch and Strawberry Shortcake are coming back around with the new and improved. Last time I was at MBBC, the girls were complaining about something and I said, "Hey, at least you guys can wear pants in town!" That would have been an abomination :)
Amy - YES! Post it on your blog! I was so glad the day I never had to wear that hideous green dress ever again.
G-knee - what was with us? Why did we think a spider in our room was cool? Remember when we had John Elway in our room? (Okay...the cardboard cutout..) That was much better.
Danielle - did you keep any of your old Cabbage Patch/Strawberry Shortcake dolls? I'm thinking of wrapping them up for Olivia for Christmas. :)
Yes, last year I gave Mackenzie two of my favorite Cabbage Patch dolls and I got just sick every time I saw her put ugly clothes on her or leave her naked. I had to put her away...I would never have treated my precious dollies that way -- I was a good little mommy! :) Do you remember playing dolls under my parents pool table?
G-Knee - we did so many things in those green dresses, I shudder to think what Miss Major would've thought. :) BTW, you NEED a scanner! I want to see that John Elway pic!
Danielle - so funny about the dolls! I guess I'll pass on giving them to Livi. Yes, I remember playing under the pool table. That was the perfect place! My kids play under our pool table too. Your house was so kid-friendly. You had the absolute greatest set-up to play school. I always wanted to go to your house!
Hey, Jill! You've been tagged! Check out my blog if you don't know what I am talking about :)
Jill come and look at my video on my blog!
Post a Comment