Saturday, March 17, 2007

Academic Meet

Yesterday was academic meet for the IACS high schools. We had to leave at 6 am to be there in time for the opening meeting. Ugh. My apologies to the people who had to see me at 6 am.

Anyway, we had a great day. I accompanied some of the solos and groups and was able to hear my piano students perform. So, long story short, we are now planning a trip to BJU in a few weeks because my students placed 1st!!! One of my students got 1st in classical piano, another got 3rd in sacred piano, and the two of them got 1st in classical piano duet. Yeah! I am so proud of them and how hard they have worked this year. They are both seniors and will present a senior recital together later this spring. I will miss them next year! Another student placed 2nd in sacred piano duet and has done very well this year as well.

Going to academic meet always reminds me of good ol' MACS. There was so much rivalry of who would place 1st in choir. I remember you playing sacred piano, Ruthy! You were always so good. Remember all the time we would spend "practicing" for smaller groups in the assembly room? We would spend most the time talking (sometimes while I played the piano so that no one would get suspicious that we weren't really practicing), then practice a little while so we could say we practiced. :)

Good memories.

7 comments:

2Icecubed said...

Jill, congrats on your piano students-that is very exciting. And even more fun to be able to go to BJ with them!!! Boy, you're right it brings back lots of memories. Yes, the assembly room...I remember getting in trouble with Mrs. Isaacs because we got the giggles practicing for a flute trio-Breanna Tatro and Heidi Jensen and me. What fun!!! You really can't giggle and play the flute!:)

Holly said...

Oh, the good ol' days! I remember MACS competitions very well. I remember singing in a trio one time, I think with Jenna and Alissa, and we all three forgot some of the words to the song! But, amazingly enough, we all three made up the same WRONG words to sing during the part we forgot! Glad your students did so well. It's fun to see that your teaching is really working! =)

Ruthy said...

I don't know what you're talking about, Jill. We musicians from St.Francis ALWAYS used our practice time wisely. (tee hee) Michelle - how did I not know you played the flute??????? Congrats, Jill, on your students doing so well; I'm sure it had a lot to do with their experienced and talented teacher! =0)

SturgillMom said...

Jill, I DO remember "practicing" in the assembly room. You were so good about playing for all of us. Congrats on your students doing so well. Will you be able to go to BJU with them? You are SO mean to make them do a Senior recital :)

Kelly said...

I am so excited that your students did so well. I wish that I was closer and you could teach me some lessons:)
I remember your students winning in MN as well so it definitely must be the teacher.
Keep up the good work and I hope you get to go to BJU. That would be a nice break for you (well, if you didn't have the kids!)
BTW, June works great for me so let me know the weekend.
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Jill - Congrats! I heard some of my teens were there as well! How fun! Sounds like an exhausting day. I remember how exciting MACS was...but I don't think I realized how tiring it was for the judges. I wouldn't like that job at all! Fun fun!

Jill said...

Michelle and Holly - it was fun to remember some of the people from WBA that I haven't thought of in a long time. It would be fun to catch up with them again - isn't there an all-school reunion coming up this summer?

Danielle - they actually asked me about doing a senior recital. I thought they were crazy when they asked.

And...we are going to BJU! And taking all the kids...we'll see how that goes.